Thursday, October 06, 2005

Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible

The following is an excerpt from an article from The Times Online.  The complete article can be found at http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-1811332,00.html:

THE hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true.

The Catholic bishops of England, Wales and Scotland are warning their five million worshippers, as well as any others drawn to the study of scripture, that they should not expect “total accuracy” from the Bible.

“We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or complete historical precision,” they say in The Gift of Scripture.

The document is timely, coming as it does amid the rise of the religious Right, in particular in the US. 

Okay, if some of the Bible is true and some is not, what parts do you want to believe today?  The Bible declares itself to be inerrant and infallible.  Was that a lie, too.  If the Bible cannot be trusted, what is the point of the Church?  Doesn't the Catholic Church negate its own purpose by embracing this drivel?  I guess that means that it really is okay for a priest to molest children.

I am certainly glad that the Creator provided me with enough intelligence and spiritual insight to make up my own mind and not have some group of politically correct, spiritually impotent priests and bishops tell me what to believe.

What do you think about this?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My granddad was a Baptist preacher for over 50 years. He would absolutely have a fit about this. It's no surprise though, disappointing to say the least. People have always picked and chosen what parts of the Bible they wanted to follow and discarded the rest as "not relevant in today's society". It's just a shame to see the entire Roman Catholic church standing behind this thinking.

On an unrelated note, do you have any objections to me adding your page on my links list on my page?

RCy0rk said...

Thanks, Jeremy.

At least i know somebody reads this occasionally. Sure, you can add me to your list.

I probably should have asked you before I did, so is it okay to add you to mine?

Anonymous said...

Sure. I'll take all of the free publicity I can get. :)

doodlebugmom said...

I am a United Methodist,not Catholic. I am also a very independent thinker. I dont take eveything in the Bible literally. 2000 + years of translation and interpretation, especailly the Old Testement.